Such a clever and charming game for the Playdate. Thank you for making this!
A Balanced Brew
A downloadable game
A Unicycle game for coffee lovers
It's Saturday morning, 10:30am, and *you haven't had your coffee yet*. Your need for caffeine is undeniable, there's not a bean in the house, and you really, *really* hate walking. That coffee cart can't be too far away, right?
Your eyes find your trusty unicycle across the room. Let's do this.
"A Balanced Brew" is a challenging but charming tale of one person's unicycle-mounted quest for a good coffee, across improbably treacherous terrain.
- Original crank-driven unicycle gameplay, made for the PlayDate!
- The most advanced unicycle-coffee-run simulation released on the platform to date!
- 5 increasingly-caffinated difficulty levels, for a smooth yet full-bodied challenge that lingers nicely on the palate!
- 80 levels across 4 picturesque locales, filled with devious obstacles!
- 3 additional game modes for extra challenge: Gauntlet, Return Trip, and Daily Grind!
- A soothing soundtrack to keep you calm on your quest!
- Unlimited level skips, don't be afraid to use them! you can come back at any time and finish the level later
- For even more challenge, drink 4 espressos before playing to unlock "jitters mode"! (PSA: probably don't, though. Excess caffeine consumption may cause irritability, mania, insomnia, and an uncomfortably full bladder.)
- State-of-the-art monochrome facial hair simulation!
- "This is the most Melbourne game imaginable, I love it."
- "...I'm pretty sure I've seen this guy getting coffee in Brunswick."
- "This game perpetuates tired unicyclist stereotypes, and doesn't do my moustache justice at all!"
- Crank to move
- B to bring up pause menu in level, you can skip or restart levels from this menu
Use the crank to pedal in either direction.
Mind your center of balance, and try pedaling backwards to tip yourself slightly toward your direction of travel.
Avoid crowds, pick your moment when crossing the street, and be careful of hazards such as mud or oil that threaten the unwary unicyclist!
How to Install
This game can be side loaded through the Panic Playdate website
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $8 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Is there a tips post about the various terrains anywhere? I was having fun initially, but now that I’m at level 1-13 I’m just getting frustrated despite dropping the difficulty down all the way 😑
Ah yeah that level is very tricky. Best advice I can give you is while going up the muddy part try to just go slow and keep your self a vertical as possible, maybe even leaning a little backwards.
But I very much encourage people to skip levels before they get frustrated! There’s no penalty and you can come back and finish the level later.
Good advice, thank you! I didn’t realize there was a glossary too which helps, and I appreciate the option to skip levels! I wanted to jump into the daily grind but quickly discovered I need to play through the other stages first 😅
Awesome game, having a blast with it! Would it be possible to add the name of the level and the difficulty on the death and level completion screen? This way when I take a screenshot to share my score it has this information on it
My favorite Playdate game so far! Reminded me of Unicycle Hero, but the physics feel more polished and it's just so much fun playing it with the crank and being able to go faster or slower based on the situation. Superb! :)
this game is so fun! Are there plans for more level packs or a way to make levels?
Yes! I’m actually working on that right now. I’ve got 40 new levels coming and a daily mode with a randomly generated level each day. Should be releasing it with in the next two weeks.
This game is amazing and might be my new sideloaded #1 favorite!
Love the game!
It would be super cool if there was a way to see how much of a level you’ve completed when you fall over. One way you could do this is by extending the X axis of the balance graph as if there were data points for the entire level. Alternatively, printing the % completed would work too.
My favourite game on the Playdate so far! Great use of the crank.
Love the game! Only issue I had was around level 12 or 13 the music started dropping out every other run. It stopped doing it around level 17.
I am really looking forward to your game and quite happy I can finally give you a pre-order!
Looks promising. Perhaps the game title could use some work.
I think the title is great, but still gave you an upvote as no one should be downvoted for a valid opinion.
Thanks for the feedback, I replied in the reddit thread too but I'm going to copy my answer here too because I agree with WDKtheV.
"I wanted something that combined the unicycle part with the coffee part. 'a balanced brew' is a little awkward but I like that it combines these things together."